What is Lymphedema Therapy Program?
- An integrated protocol for reducing lymphedema and its symptoms. It does not “cure”; but rather alleviates swelling and pain
- It is administered in the home under doctor’s orders
- It combines manual lymph drainage maneuvers, multi-layer bandaging and fitting of compression garments
- Diabetic and safety counseling as well as exercise instruction are incorporated
- Proper administration requires supervision by a certified lymphedema therapist
- Patients are typically seen 3 to 4 times each week for 4-6 weeks
- Under certain circumstances and always in consultation with the attending physician, lymphedema pumps may be incorporated into the treatment